In this newsletter: Time Again for School, Calendar, Ice Cream Social Volunteers Needed, Kindergarten Orientation, Contacting PTA, Ways to Support Fairmont
Start of School, Monday, August 22 - MINIMUM DAY
Yep, it's that time again! Summer camps are wrapping up and teachers are getting their rooms ready. School opens for business Monday, August 22, at 8:30AM. Please note that it is a Minimum Day, so grades 1-6 will be dismissed at 2:05PM. (See the daily bell schedule if you're new to Fairmont: http://fairmontschool.org/daily-bell-schedule.)
For students, especially new students and kindergartners, we recommend reading our "First Day at School" on our web site at http://fairmontschool.org/first-day-school. Class lists will be posted Friday, August 19 at 10AM. So come down and see what teacher you have this year!
We'd also like to welcome our new principal, Lynn Bernhardt. Mrs. Bernhardt has been working hard this summer to meet Fairmont families and staff, and has been getting to know our history and traditions. She was an English teacher for many years, and last year was an Interim Principal for the school district. Everyone who has worked with her is delighted at her openness, her dedication to student success, and her desire to make Fairmont and even better school. Please introduce yourself when you see her on campus. We want to give her a warm Fairmont welcome!
Calendar for 2016-2017
Here is a list of events we are planning to hold this year. Please subscribe to our Google Calendar (http://fairmontschool.org/g-calendar) using the + Google Calendar button in the lower right corner of the calendar widget. Since event details may change during the course of the year, and new events may be added, the Google Calendar (along with this newsletter) are your best bets for staying current!
- Mon Aug 22 - First Day of School (MINIMUM DAY)
- Thu Aug 25 - PTA Association meeting
- Tue Aug 30 - Ice Cream Social
- Mon Sep 5 - Labor Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Tue Sep 6 - Grant Writing Night
- Thu Sep 8 - Back to School Night (MINIMUM DAY), 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- Mon Sep 12 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Mon Sep 19 - Technology Night, 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- Wed Oct 5 - International Walk to School Day
- Mon Oct 3 - Turn in BoxTops to Fairmont PTA
- Fri Oct 7 - Walk-a-Thon
- Mon Oct 10 - NO SCHOOL
- Mon Oct 10 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Sat Oct 15 - Fall Festival and Bike Rodeo
- Sat Oct 21 - Family Game Night
- Mon Oct 31 - Halloween (MINIMUM DAY)
- Tue Nov 1 - Parent Conferences (NO SCHOOL)
- Nov 2 - Nov 8 - Parent Conferences (MINIMUM DAY)
- Fri Nov 11 - Veterans Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Mon Nov 14 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Wed Nov 23 - MINIMUM DAY
- Thu Nov 24 - Nov 25 - Thanksgiving (NO SCHOOL)
- Fri Dec 2, 2016 - Kindergarten Tour, 8:45am – 10:15am
- Mon Dec 12, 2016 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Fri Dec 16, 2016 - MINIMUM DAY
- Mon Dec 19 - Jan 2, 2017 - Winter Break (NO SCHOOL)
- Tue Jan 3, 2017 - School Resumes
- Mon Jan 9, 2017 - Spell-a-thon Begins
- Mon Jan 9, 2017 - Kindergarten Registration, 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Mon Jan 9, 2017 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Fri Jan 27, 2017 - Spell-a-thon Ends
- Wed Feb 1, 2017 - 100th Day
- Fri Feb 3, 2017 - Turn in BoxTops to Fairmont PTA
- Tue Feb 14, 2017 - Valentine's Day
- Wed Feb 15, 2017 - Spelling Bee
- Mon Feb 20, 2017 - Feb 24 - President's Week Break (NO SCHOOL)
- Sat Mar 11, 2017 - Fairmont Auction, 6:00pm – 10:00pm
- Mon Mar 13, 2017 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Tue Mar 14, 2017 - Family Math Night (TBD)
- Mon Apr 3, 2017 - Apr 7 - Spring Break (NO SCHOOL)
- Mon Apr 10, 2017 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Thu Apr 20, 2017 - Open House (MINIMUM DAY), 6:00pm – 7:00pm
- Sat Apr 29, 2017 - Multicultural Spring Festival
- Tue May 2, 2017 - Teacher Appreciation Lunch
- Mon May 8, 2017 - PTA Board Meeting, 5:15pm – 6:00pm
- Thu May 25, 2017 - Science Fair
- Mon May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Thu Jun 8, 2017 - Last Day of School (NOON DISMISSAL)
Ice Cream Social Volunteers Needed
We will have out annual FREE Ice Cream Social on Tuesday, August 30, in the evening. We need volunteers for lots of jobs and have created an online sign up form. So go to http://signup.com/go/6hkgqU then click the job you'd like to help with! More details to come after school begins.
Kindergarten Orientation & Final Play Date
For Kindergarteners, there will be an orientation at 2PM on Friday, August 19. This is a chance for you to ask questions of the Principal and of PTA members before school actually begins.
You can also join us for the last of our kindergarten summer play dates, Saturday, August 20, from 10AM to noon on the Fairmont main play ground, accessible from the Lexington cul-de-sac gate by the Fairmont Club House.
Please let those with entering kindergarteners know about these events. They are great chances for the kids to see their new school and get to know other kids coming to Fairmont.
Fairmont PTA Board
Fairmont has a strong PTA with many more coordinators and volunteers helping with our many events and programs. We will give you contact information for event coordinators throughout the year. But for now, if you have any questions of our elected board members, you can use the following email addresses:
- President: Tim Warner -- email@example.com
- Vice President: Sherrod Blankner -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Tere Ahumada -- email@example.com
- Secretary: Dawn Miller -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Secretary: Janeira Castro -- email@example.com
- Shane Anderson -- Volunteer Coordinator -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deb Marshall & Stacey Steele -- Membership (Co-Leaders) -- email@example.com
We'd also like to thank Jane Wakayama, who will be our Room Parent Coordinator this year, and Jen Komaromi, who will be leading our Fundraising committee.
If you would like to help with PTA events or programs, we are always looking for help. The greatest contribution you can make is as a coordinator. We would particularly like parents of younger students to get involved; we need that next generation to bring in new energy and new ideas!
Ways to Support Fairmont
Join the PTA! It's easy and a great way to show your child that you support their education. Membership forms are available in the school office. Join today!
Donate! While you can donate when you join PTA, you can donate any time by click on the green Donate button on the school web site. Friends and family are also encouraged to donate to money to support Fairmont programs. Visit http://fairmontschool.org/donate now!
Volunteer! If you haven't already filled our annual Volunteer Survey, please complete it online. Just go to: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r3Q13_RqJ5msFvidsfq_hfiJywe_8QeZ16zDX2ynJWA/viewform. Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Your Badge! Apply today for your volunteer badge. These badges let you help in class, on field trips, and more. Start your application at: http://bit.ly/1IUagO8
Thanks so much for your help and for getting involved with Fairmont!
To view this newsletter in Spanish and many other languages, use the Translate drop-down menu.