In this newsletter: Superintendent Duffy at EC Democratic Club, Participate in Reflections Art Program, Mathnasium Grant, Staff Appreciation Breakfast, Fairmont Grounds Clean Up, Silent Auction Meeting, Walk-a-thon Helpers Needed, Amazon Associate Button, Good Eggs, Boxtops, Walk-a-thon Pledgestar
Superintendent Duffy at EC Democratic Club
WCCUSD Superintendent Matt Duffy will speak at the El Cerrito Democratic Club on Tuesday, September 26th at 6:00 pm at ECHS . Presentations begin at 6:30 pm. Let's go support Supt. Duffy to show our appreciation for the school board's recent support of Fairmont in regards to 6500 Stockton (previously known as the senior center). http://ecdclub.org/september-26-meeting-at-high-school/
Participate in Reflections Art Program
Encourage self-expression in your child by working with them to develop an entry for the PTA's Reflections art program, a national art contest with competitions at school, region, state, and national levels. The theme for 2017 is "Within Reach." Entries are due by October 13 . Students can participate by either creating something at home or by participating in our Reflections event, to be held September 27, from the end of school until 7:30PM . Our at-school event will be limited to Visual Arts (painting, drawing), but students can enter their work in five additional areas: dance/choreography, literature, photography, film production, and music composition.
African-American Parent Site Advisory Team
The goals of the African-American Parent Advisory Team are:
- Improve the academic outcomes for African-American students by providing families with information about their student's academic achievement and cognitive development. This includes identifying a student's individual needs by reviewing test scores and grades and developing achievable goals and creating a plan of action for their personal success.
- Increase the engagement of African-American families, by developing programs and activities these families are interested in participating in.
- Support school staff in addressing the cultural needs of African-American students, using direct feedback from parents and families.
- Advise the school on how communication and outreach efforts of the school are working and what can be improved.
- Advocate for programs and services that will increase African-American students' preparation for college and career, such as an after-school tutoring group, career day, parent support groups, workshops on how parents can best support their students at home, and resources and referrals for academic and social support.
Fairmont is committed to making every student, parent, guardian, family, and community members feel welcome and supported on our campus. All Fairmont staff members are dedicated to developing warm and nurturing relationships with all students. For Fairmont to be successful we need parents, guardians, families, and community members to be involved - such involvement has been shown to be a key factor in a student's academic growth and success. WE NEED YOU!
The African-American Parent Advisory will meet regularly on the fourth Thursday each month at 6:30 pm . Children are welcome to attend. We invite and encourage parents, guardians, caregivers, and family members to attend these meetings. Your involvement, suggestions, and feedback are critical to our making a difference in the lives of our children.
Join us for coffee and pastries on Friday the 29th at 8:30am in the MPR . Hear all the latest news from Mrs. Bernhardt.
Thanks to Our Volunteers
A very special thank you to Rebecca Goldfarb . Rebecca wrote a grant for Fairmont and has been awarded a Mathnasium 2017 STEM + Families Math Grant for $1000 . The grant is to help elementary schools host a math event for students and families between Oct. 1- Dec 15, 2017. Mathnasium of Albany/Berkeley will work with us to help plan and coordinate the event. An extra special math night is in the works so be sure you don't miss it. More details to come. We are always looking for individuals to help search for and write grants for our school. If you are interested in helping, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff Appreciation Breakfast
We are planning to start a monthly staff appreciation breakfast. The first of these will be Friday, September 29th . Drop off fruit, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, or your favorite healthy breakfast item for the staff next Friday morning. Please sign-up to bring in something tasty. Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Fairmont Grounds Clean Up
There will be a Fairmont grounds clean up Saturday, September 30th, at 9:30 am . Please bring a garbage bag and some gloves. Dawn Miller will bring coffee and donuts. Also bring your ideas for our school garden, as we will do a quick brainstorm session.
Silent Auction Meeting
Silent Auction planning committee meeting Saturday, September 30th at 12:30 pm at Well Grounded Co-Work space. We desperately need some "younger" parents, as our most involved members will soon be graduating! This is the perfect opportunity to be involved without having to be "in charge".
Walk-a-thon Helpers Needed
The walk-a-thon is right around the corner, October 6th , and we need volunteers to help prepare and hand out snack as well as helping with the obstacle courses. Sign up today! https://goo.gl/iHNUaD
Help Fairmont Earn
Amazon Associate Button
We now have an Amazon Associate Button on our webpage. If you are an avid Amazon shopper you can help us earn lots of money! Please shop through our link! Spread the word to your family and friends and have them bookmark fairmontschool.org !
Attention El Cerrito* Fairmont Families: Support FAIRMONT and get $25 of free groceries!
1. Fill your basket with all the best food (fresher than fresh produce, sustainable meats and seafood, meal kits, kid-friendly staples and more) for same day delivery on Good Eggs .
2. At checkout, enter the code [FAIRMONT] to get $25 off your first order and automatically enroll in the fundraiser.
3. Enjoy! You just discovered the easiest and most delicious way to support your school. All your orders for the next two months will automatically count toward the fundraiser that gives 10% back.
*Good Eggs home delivery is not yet available in Richmond Annex. Questions? Email Rebecca Goldfarb: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring your Box Tops to the school office by October 2. We turn in Box Tops twice each year, at the beginning of October and February. Make sure you turn in anything that will expire soon! Note that we have to throw out any expired coupons, so check those dates!!
Walk-a-thon pledge raising is in full swing. Register online at Pledgestar or use the paper forms that came home in your Friday folders and return them to school. The online Pledgestar version is easy to use and share on Facebook and through emails. This helps us raise more money because it is so simple for people to pay online. Pledges are due October 13th.
Ways to Support Fairmont
Now is the time to get involved at Fairmont.
Join the PTA!
It's easy and a great way to show your child that you support their education. Membership forms are available in the school office.
Donate! While you can donate when you join the PTA, you can donate any time by clicking on the green "Donate" button on the school web site. Friends and family are also encouraged to donate money to support Fairmont programs. Visit http://fairmontschool.org/donate now!
Volunteer! If you haven't already filled out our annual Volunteer Survey, please complete it online. Just go to: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r3Q13_RqJ5msFvidsfq_hfiJywe_8QeZ16zDX2ynJWA/viewform . Send questions to email@example.com
Get Your Badge! Apply today for your volunteer badge. These badges let you help in class, on field trips, and more. Start your application at: http://bit.ly/1IUagO8
Thanks so much for your help and for getting involved with Fairmont!
- September 26 - Matt Duffy at Democratic Club 6 PM EC High School
- September 28 - African-American Parent Site Advisory Team 6:30 PM MPR
- September 29 - Teacher Appreciation Breakfast
- September 29 - Principal's Coffee 8:30 AM MPR
- September 29 - Turn in box tops
- September 30 - Fairmont Clean up 9:30 AM
- September 30 - Auction Meeting 12:30 PM Well Grounded Co-work Space
- October 3 - Nutrition Commitee Meeting
- October 4 - Walk to School Day
- October 5 - PTA Board Meeting 6 PM
- October 6 - Walk-a-thon
- October 13 - Pizza Roma Fundraiser
- October 19 - PTA General Meeting
- October 20 - Family Game Night
- October 28 - Fall Festival
To view this newsletter in Spanish and many other languages, use the Translate drop-down menu.