In this newsletter: Columbus Day-No School, College and Career Awareness Week,6500 Stockton (Senior Center) site visit,Pizza Roma,Reflections Entries Due,Still Time to Submit BoxTops, Ground Cleanup,Walk-a-thon Helpers,Good Eggs,El Cerrito Free Folk Festival, Special Education Resource
Columbus Day-No School
Enjoy the extended weekend! There is no school on Monday, October 9th.
Fairmont Celebrates College and Career Awareness Week Oct 11-13
It's never too early to get our students to start thinking about their future.
1. College Spirit Wear Days - On October 11 and 12, faculty, staff, students, parents, and guardians are invited to show their college spirit by wearing clothing items with a college name, mascot, or emblem (any college, not just those of your alma mater).
2. "Where Did You Attend College?" Share with our students where YOU went to college on the two huge maps outside the Multipurpose Room. Just write the info down on the post-it notes provided and stick them on the maps.
3. "What do you want to be when you grow up?" To help them answer this question, we've arranged special assemblies featuring guests talking about their careers as a game designer, a firefighter, a police officer, a "dog dentist," a musician, an artist and software engineer, a nurse, et cetera.
4. "I want to go to...." Door decorating contest open to all classrooms. Winner gets a beautiful Halloween-themed shiny ribbon to put on their classroom door!
Talk to your kids about college and their future!
6500 Stockton (Senior Center) site visit
Fairmont School faculty, staff, and parents are invited to join a site visit to 6500 Stockton (the school-owned building currently in use as the City of El Cerrito's senior center) at 4 PM on Friday, Oct. 13th. No need to RSVP, just show up at the entrance at 4 PM. This visit will help all of us understand more about the condition of that building and what type of educational uses it has potential for when the City's lease is up (June 30, 2018). There are no senior activities at that time, so it's a good opportunity to poke around. For more background on this issue, please see our PTA web page with more information.
Papi's Pizza Roma This Friday
This Friday, October 13, is our monthly Papi's Pizza Roma fundraiser. Come in and join Fairmont families, take a pizza out, or order for a party. Just mention "Fairmont" when you make your order, and they will give a share to our PTA. All proceeds benefit Fairmont students.
Reflections Entries Due Oct 16
Kids can show their creativity by entering the National PTA’s “Reflections” contest. This program lets kids express themselves in visual art, photography, dance, music, literature, and film. Over 40 Fairmont students have participated thus far this year, but entry forms must be completed by parents. Each student who enters will receive a free treat coupon, and winners will receive additional prizes in each category. Winners also have the privilege of moving on to the regional, district, state, and national levels of the contest. This year’s theme is “Within Reach”. Please visit our Reflections page at http://fairmontschool.org/reflections-art-program for details and a link to the entry form.
Still Time to Submit BoxTops
We have received fewer BoxTops this year than in the past so we are extending the BoxTops deadline until Oct 13. If you have been clipping BoxTops, please send in whatever you have so that none of them expire. If you’re not clipping BoxTops, visit http://fairmontschool.org/more-about-boxtops to learn why you should.
Thanks to Our Volunteers
Thank you to Yuli and Jesus Garcia de Pelayo, Aimee Williams, Tere Ahumada, Zak Macrea, Claire Boudreaux, and Ms. Bernhardt for cleaning up the school grounds last Saturday. All of the kids helped (and played) while we picked up garbage and discussed ideas for the new playground area. We will be meeting once a month to clean up the grounds. This is a great way to meet other families at Fairmont AND it helps our school look AWESOME.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the walk-a-thon. We hope to have a full list of all names next week. This event was a huge success and all the kids had a great time. You have until Friday to get your pledges in!
Attention El Cerrito* Fairmont Families: Support FAIRMONT and get $25 of free groceries!
1. Fill your basket with all the best food (fresher than fresh produce, sustainable meats and seafood, meal kits, kid-friendly staples and more) for same day delivery on Good Eggs .
2. At checkout, enter the code [FAIRMONT] to get $25 off your first order and automatically enroll in the fundraiser.
3. Enjoy! You just discovered the easiest and most delicious way to support your school. All your orders for the next two months will automatically count toward the fundraiser that gives 10% back.
*Good Eggs home delivery is not yet available in Richmond Annex. Questions? Email Rebecca Goldfarb: email@example.com
Ways to Support Fairmont
Now is the time to get involved at Fairmont.
Join the PTA! It's easy and a great way to show your child that you support their education. Membership forms are available in the school office. Join today!
Donate! While you can donate when you join the PTA, you can donate any time by clicking on the green "Donate" button on the school web site. Friends and family are also encouraged to donate money to support Fairmont programs. Visit http://fairmontschool.org/donate now!
Volunteer! If you haven't already filled out our annual Volunteer Survey, please complete it online. Just go to: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r3Q13_RqJ5msFvidsfq_hfiJywe_8QeZ16zDX2ynJWA/viewform. Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Your Badge! Apply today for your volunteer badge. These badges let you help in class, on field trips, and more. Start your application at: http://bit.ly/1IUagO8
Thanks so much for your financial support, your help with events, and for getting involved with education at Fairmont School!
- October 9 - Columbus Day - NO SCHOOL
- October 11-13 College/Career Awareness
- October 13 - Pizza Roma Fundraiser
- October 19 - PTA General Meeting/Toolbox Training
- October 24 - Tech Night
- October 28 - Fall Festival
El Cerrito Free Folk Festival
Saturday, October 28th, noon till 10 pm, El Cerrito High School, 540 Ashbury Avenue, El Cerrito
The El Cerrito Free Folk Festival is a day-long arts and music festival, free of charge and open to the public. This exciting event offers two stages of music performances, music and dance workshops, a family program, an open mike stage, and spaces for spontaneous jams. Join us to listen, learn, play and enjoy live music in our community.
The Family Program runs from 12:30-5:30 pm and includes participatory singing, puppet shows, stories, and an open mike for kids of all ages. The all-day Arts and Crafts table will be loaded with goodies for art projects.
This is an all-volunteer event. For more information on the festival or to volunteer, visit our website: www.elcerritofolkfest.org.
The Festival is presented by the San Francisco Folk Music Club in association with the El Cerrito Arts & Culture Commission.
Special Education Resource-www.dredf.org
DREDF is an organization that focuses on the rights of those with special needs. They have several upcoming trainings. Free to everyone who wants to learn more about special education and individualized supports and services for students with disabilities. https://dredf.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2017-SpEd-Training-Flyer-English.pdf.
To view this newsletter in Spanish and many other languages, use the Translate drop-down menu.